About the Client
The client is a commercial printing company. Headquartered in Tempe, Arizona, they offer a variety of printing services including multi-color and on-demand printing, bindery, digital and conventional stripping, and ElKote finishing.
Previously, the client used a barcode scanner available from the iOS App Store. However, this barcode scanner had its limitations. One of the most pressing restrictions was its ability to only scan and read a single barcode / QR code at a time. The client wanted to develop a more advanced mobile barcode scanner that could:
- Scan and read multiple 2D barcodes / QR codes at a time
- Generate information from 2D barcodes / QR codes in a human-readable format
- Have the capability to save multiple barcodes / QR codes on a single sheet of paper
Need help with an iOS Application Development project?Contact Silicus Sales
Silicus developed the mobile barcode scanner app with the following key features:
Responsive, Offline-Enabled Mobile App
- Scans multiple 2D barcodes / QR codes at a time
- Processes multiple 2D barcodes / QR codes – From real-time video feeds from an iPad camera
- Generates information from 2D barcodes / QR codes in a human-readable format
- Capability to print 2D barcodes and QR codes through the Apple AirPrint Protocol
File Sharing Capability
- After scanning 2D barcodes / QR codes, a text file is generated with the relevant details. This file can be copied to a PC from an iOS device via Apple iTunes. Conversely, the text file can also be copied to an iPad to generate bar codes / QR codes in the app.
Objective CPLATFORM(S): iOS
iOS 4.3 and above
Multiple Barcode / QR Code Scanning Ability
Unlike other similar existing apps, this barcode scanner has the ability to scan and read multiple 2D barcodes / QR codes at a time.
With the ability to store data locally, it saves the user time that they otherwise would spend on downloading information from a centralized system and is still usable in absence of an internet connection.
Direct Printing from the App
The app is able to facilitate the printing of QR codes / barcodes or the interpretation of these codes in the form of a text file directly to an AirPrint enabled printer.