About the Client
The client provides technology solutions to increase organizational efficiency through Google Apps based cloud-computing solutions. The client owns several software products/ accelerators that simplify the adoption and transition of business applications within organizations to the Google Application suite. The client’s software products facilitate adoption of Google Mail, Google Docs and other Google business applications within organizations.
As part of its service offering, the client facilitates e-mail migration from Lotus Notes to Google Mail to clients across the US and Canada. The client had a software application that automated the migration process; however there were limitations to the application and manual intervention was needed for fixing issues.
The client sought an offshore technology partner with expertise to build a more robust and reliable software application that automatically migrates the mail structures and attachments from Lotus NSF mail database to the user’s Google mail account.
Having demonstrated proven expertise in Google Apps development, the client and Silicus entered into a partnership in which Silicus would provide implementation and migration services for the client’s end customers on an ongoing basis. The client also maintained a full time offshore development team to develop new software tools / accelerators and improve the features and performance of existing software.
Silicus supported the client in taking its e-mail migration services to end customers, and fixed any problems and issues that surface during the migration process. The process involved migrating mail structures and attachments from Lotus NSF mail database to the user’s Google mail account.
Need help with a PaaS Development & Migration project?Contact Silicus Sales
The Lotus NSF file to Google Mail migration application is a web based application based on Java EE, Java Spring, Hibernate, JSP/Servlets, Google Mail Migration SDK, PostGreSQL and Amazon Web Services/Cloud technology. The application migrates the user’s mail documents from Lotus Notes NSF database file to his Google domain mail account.
Silicus software development and maintenance services included the following:
- Resolving maintenance issues, bugs and enhancements
- Garbage collection and proper memory utilization
- Remote debugging
- Performance tuning and code optimization
- Amazon cloud deployment and testing
- PostGreSQL database management and tuning
- Java/JSP Spring, Hibernate development
- Functionality and Performance Testing
- Production testing and error resolution
- Build Management and deployment
Silicus offshore software developers maintained and enhanced the following modules within the Lotus Mail migration application:
- The NSF File uploader module uploads the user's NSF file to the Amazon File Uploader Web service .The NSF file is then downloaded by the application at the server side for further processing
- The reader/parser module loads the downloaded NSF file, reads the mail documents of the NSF file and parses the data into objects
- The Google mail writer module takes the mail objects generated by the reader process, generates RFC 822 mail formats and migrates the mails and attachments to the users Google account
- The notification module informs the user about the status of the migration process
Java, Java EE
Sun Java 1.6
Windows XP, Linux
Jboss and Apache Tomcat
Amazon Cloud, Windows instance
JAVA SDK's & Framework
Spring, Hibernate, JSP/Servlets, Amazon file upload Web services, Google Mail Migration API’s, Lotus Domino Java API’s.
Migration to an Emerging and High Performance Email Platform
Silicus Google Apps expertise helped the client move the mailboxes of numerous organizations from Lotus Notes to Google Mail, availing of the benefits of using a superior mailing services technology
Silicus developed the software modules for migrating NSF mails to the Google Mail account with proper garbage collection and optimization techniques as high performance was the main criteria for mail migration
Remote Offshore Migration Services
Silicus offered debugging and diagnostic services to the end user from offshore on behalf of the client. Silicus Google Apps experts were able to trouble shoot and solve almost all issues that came up during the migration process
By leveraging Silicus Google Apps expertise from offshore, the client was able to offer competent and cost effective mail migration services to its end users