About the Client
The client is a pioneer in integrated digital imaging solutions for laboratory microscopy. Their imaging solution renders full-resolution images of the reviewed portion of a glass smear slide. The digital images produced by the solution can be used for diagnostics without the need to carry glass slides. This advanced imaging technology ensures improved efficiency and diagnostic accuracy that directly improves patient care.
The client wanted to enhance accessibility, manageability and features of their digital imaging solution. The primary requirements were:
- Product Reengineering – The client wanted to migrate the imaging application, built in Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), to a web-based solution on Microsoft’s .NET Framework.
- Digital Image Vault –The client’s prior solution did not aggregate and categorize all images in a digital format. The new solution is designed to provide a digital slide box where customers can collaborate and search in a centralized image database. Sharing these between all customers, in a digital and secure format, provides great reference and educational value.
- Administrative Interface – In the prior solution, the administrator at each facility made direct changes to the database for any facility modifications. An integrated interface was designed to allow an administrator to independently modify the environment values across all facilities. Additionally, product support teams can use this module to adjust settings and monitor the status of remote equipment.
The client was looking for a partner that could realize these product reengineering requirements and build a quality solution and chose Silicus for its expertise in Microsoft .NET technologies and demonstrated delivery capabilities.
Need help with a Healthcare Software Modernization project?Contact Silicus Sales
Silicus developed the following solution for the client:
- Web-Based Imaging Solution – The existing solution was migrated to the .NET Framework. It is accessible across multiple browsers and enables advanced enhancements.
- Centralized Image Storage Repository – An image database has been developed. The Digital Slide Box interface, integrated into the web application, allows designated facility users to upload and share images. Cases are de-identified to remove patient information before publishing and sharing with users. Authorized users now have access to a vast database of centralized cases conforming to HIPAA regulations
- Facility Administrator Interface – An integrated interface allows facility administrators to easily manage user accounts, application parameters and settings, connected scanners and laboratory information system settings.
SQL Server 2008
Visual Studio 2008
Digital Imaging Solution For Secure Sharing
Images uploaded by the facilities are de-identified and made available for research, allowing efficient and secure sharing of case information.
Laboratories are required to have a box of reference slides, to be referred to in case a technician runs across a complex abnormality. This compliance requirement is rarely followed due to the difficulty in acquiring and tracking a useful collection of suitable slides. However, the digital vault made the process fast and simple.
Digital Reference Library for Better Case Review
The centralized digital image repository allows end customers to search, review and study images. This was highly beneficial in the following cases:
- Digital Slide Box – Converting physical slides to digital images allows for easy storage and access.
- Education – Medical and trade schools teach students about cell morphology using artist drawings of cells and a collection of physical slides. Digitized high-resolution images make it easier for teachers to share with students.