About the Client
The client is an eCommerce shopping cart hosting service provider, supporting several merchants in the US. The eCommerce shopping carts are based on NopCommerce, an open source single store eCommerce website in ASP.NET 4.0 Entity framework and MS SQL Server.
The client was looking to customize the NopCommerce installation to better manage the merchants (customers) who were hosting their eCommerce businesses with the client. The client selected eCommerce for our demonstrated experience and track record of developing and implementing eCommerce solutions.
Need help with a NopCommerce E-commerce Implementation project?Contact Silicus Sales
One of the key requirements of the client, and a significant challenge for the NopCommerce engineers was of a multi-store website. To implement this:
- A merchant signup module was created which called a web service which dynamically hosted a store in the IIS server
- Made an entry into the DNS server for the new sub-domain
- Dynamically created a database for each store hosted
- Configured the website
The admin site was developed in ASP.NET MVC 2 for management of stores and merchants. This involved:
- functionality for activation/deactivation of stores
- Creating hosting plans where back-office personnel can select/deselect features for the merchant
- Manual Invoice creation for merchant according to the features and hosting plan he has opted for
- PCI compliance by encryption of credit card number and CVV2
The following features were integrated in nopCommerce store:
- Integration of Fedex , UPS , USPS shipping web services and printing of the labels
- Integration of TSYS (Vital) and Elavon payment gateways using a third part component Software - E-Payment Integrator
Store Termination Windows Service -
A windows service which runs every night and cleans up the target store hosted in IIS and detaches the database.
The billing service runs every night and performs:
- Automated invoice creation for the merchants depending upon his/her plans and features selected
- Payment processing using TSYS Payment gateway and Authorize.net and email notifications for payment processing results
CC_Turnkey web service
This web service takes credit card information and payment gateway ID as input, and processes the payment using these gateways – Elavon, Payflow Pro, First Data , Innovative, LinkPoint, EWay, Vital and Website Payments Pro (Paypal Pro)
Email Drip Campaign Windows Service
This was a new feature added in the NopCommerce shopping carts that:
- Takes the user input date and email address as a reminder for a particular product. A user is able to set up to five reminders.
- The Windows service runs every night, and connects to the each of the store databases dynamically and retrieves all reminders due in 5 days and 7 days. It then generates a reminder email along with the top 4 products in the category for which the customer had set the reminder for.
eCommerce Shopping Cart
3rd Party Integration
Payment Gateways (Elavon, Payflow Pro, First Data, Innovative, LinkPoint, EWay, Vital and Website Payments Pro (Paypal Pro)), Shipping Labels (Fedex, UPS, and USPS)
The NopCommerce customizations done by Silicus NopCommerce developers automated several tasks such as reminders, billing, deleting storefronts etc.
By implementing the multi-stores website functionality on NopCommerce, the client was able to provide better service to his customers (merchants) by allowing merchants to set-up their store-fronts in minutes. The multi-store websites allowed merchants to set up multiple eCommerce store-fronts by just signing up, choosing a plan and setting up their own stores.