About the Client
The client is a manufacturing company specializing in design and manufacturing of packaging machinery. They build vertical and horizontal cartoning machines and case packers for the food, beverage, cosmetic confectionery and pharmaceutical industries.
The client faced challenges in managing production, customer orders and inventory related data stored in disparate systems. Their production data was stored in multiple excel spreadsheets and SQL tables, creating challenges in creating a consolidated view of performance.
They wanted to consolidate and display data as a single report to monitor order completion timelines, cost per project, Bill of Material (BOM) status, employee & machine performance etc.
Silicus helped consolidate data across multiple systems and excel sheets into insightful dashboards using Power BI. Dashboards was refreshed automatically as and when source data changed. Few examples of dashboards created:
- Production completed
- In Production
- Employee performance
- Percent Complete per project
- Cost per Project
- Machine performance
Dashboards related to project completion & Bills of Material (BOM) status would be published on the production floor.
Some of the key attributes of the Power BI report generated included:
- Rolling reports to compare key planning metrics for current and previous years that brought together data from multiple spreadsheets and tables
- Developed a multi-perspective view from excel spreadsheets and MySQL tables with rich visuals in Power BI to enable quick insights and easy drill downs
- Drill downs within divisions and channels for summarized as well as detailed information
The Power BI enabled dashboard provided insights into overall performance, strengths and bottlenecks, and plans for future business strategy.
BI TOOL: Power BI Desktop
Database: MySQL & MS Excel
- Access performance insights easily for faster & better decision making
- Cost effective solution that is built on Power BI reporting without changing underlying MySQL and Excel sheet-based information storage infrastructure