About the Client
The client is an innovative facility management services company with a focus on energy efficiency projects, and Building Management System (BMS) technical support and upgrades. They also specialize in the installation, servicing and operation of HVAC/mechanical systems in every facility type.
The client provided remote and onsite facilities management services through a proprietary PC based building management software application. The system is a is a Web-enabled solution powered by the NiagaraAX Framework®, that can integrated into LONWORKS®, BACnet®, Modbus™ and other protocols. The software was in need of an upgrade, with the ability to interface with other 3rd party systems running in the building – lighting, air conditioning etc
The client approached Silicus to re-engineer the existing Building Management System (BMS) with following key requirements:
- The BMS should interface with newer mechanical and electrical systems such as ventilation, lighting, power systems, fire systems, and security systems for building control
- Use of BACnet and Modbus to control the interfaces between the system and end devices
- High customization features such as reports, create user screen, real time data access, etc.
Need help with a Control Systems Software Development project?Contact Silicus Sales
To facilitate seamless communication between the web application and the control systems, Silicus conducted PoC’s for BACnet and Modbus communications with Air Handling Units (AHU’s). Following this, the team completed:
- Integration of BACnet using Chipkin
- Integration of Modbus using Modbus4j Stack
The front end UI was re-designed and enhanced using Jquery, HTML5 and CSS3. The BMS was powered by a hybrid database for higher performance, low memory footprint and lower cost. The hybrid databases consisted of:
- Relational database powered by MySQL
- Non-relational database powered by MongoDB
Jquery, HTML5, CSS3
Better Usability. Improved Productivity
The application was built with modernized architecture that facilitated better centralized monitoring and control of enterprise assets and generated automatic alerts and notifications. It also enabled smart phone and tablet access, boosting productivity.